Saturday, September 2, 2006

I'm all about Chapter 5

So I decided that I would try writing a blog for a while. I've tried something similar before, and I have always gotten bored with it way fast, but I figure what the hell, might be fun to give it a shot again. But, I have a small problem...I kinda think blogging is stupid, at least in a personal form. I really, REALLY think the word "blogging" is stupid, but bear with me. I know, tons of people have blogs and write in them all the time, and I guess they all get something out of it, which is cool if it works for you. I see how it can be valuable as a creative outlet, or as a surrogate rooftop to shout from. And sure, maybe some suicidal kid writes all about how his parents dont understand him or whatever and he averts going down the road, not across it with a razorblade, and that's great, especially if he has no one else to talk to. But I think that's my problem with the whole thing. No way can blogging replace human contact.

In other words, it's not a way to get attention, or at least, not the best way. If you're upset, talk to your friends, or your family, or whomever you're dating, or a counselor, or SOMEONE. All the "GEE I AM SORY U R FEELIN BAD" comments in the world are no substitute for another person, and every time I read sad or depressing shit in someone's blog, I find myself wondering whether the person is really in pain or is acting out a cheesy Real World-esque pity invitation scenario. If it's the former, then how about actually PICKING UP THE PHONE AND CALLING YOUR FRIENDS instead of hoping they might happen to read how you're doing? If it's the latter, why not just videotape your goddam "pain" and send it into a nice "reality" show, or better yet, SIGN UP FOR FUCKING COMMUNITY THEATER? The interaction between blogger and reader is such a poor imitation of socialization, all the empathy without the muss and fuss of actually being present, and I just can't get behind it as a means of dealing with a serious problem. Don't get me wrong, my horse isn't that high, since I'm obviously gonna be spouting whatever bullshit comes into my head using the very medium I criticize. It's just that the sanitized, disconnected environment of blog introspection bugs me from a "the Internet pushes us farther apart" standpoint. Seriously, go to a bar, get piss drunk, and yammer at strangers if you're feeling lonely and pathetic. Drunken public rambling is a time-honored way to catch anonymous pity, and at least you're talking to real people.

Now, I do think blogs have become a pretty good alternative news and commentary source, especially considering how the American media pretty well suck out loud. Of course, blogging in this context may not be on your radar unless you lean toward the liberal/progressive end of politics, so if anybody gets a stroke from following the links above, well, I'll come visit you at the hospital. As bloggers move toward writing for a broader goal, and away from seeking personal validation, a more viable sort of community appears, one more like the community you form with your neighbors; you might not see or talk to them much, but you definitely share something in common, something worth respecting and protecting. In this broader sense, blogging is effective as a means of communicating with a larger group of people, those whom you wouldn't be likely to reach otherwise. I think blogging can be a great tool for grassroots organization in support of any cause, and its foundation in the Internet means that it will be harder for The Man to co-opt. That part is really, really cool, so definitely, blogs have their uses.

Anyway, I won't be using MySpace as a depression megaphone, and I won't be using it to boost my self-confidence. For me, this will be a place to practice writing, something that I'm interested in doing more, as well as a way to blow off some steam. I don't know exactly what I'll write about, but it'll probably be funny, so there's that. I can tell you that there will definitely be some pop culture shit. Also, there will be about as much political opinionating as I can stand without stroking out. (Please note re: opinionating that there is a limit to the amount of arguing I will do with anyone. This is because, as I mentioned, I would like to release tension, not add more, and also because I really don't give a shit about Internet arguments, which are about as well-reasoned as your average toddler. Special exceptions made if both parties seem to be actually learning from each other, but again, up to the point where I just quit caring. I am in no way interested in hosting a half-assed MySpace debate club. Cheers!) Mostly, though, expect some random shit, I might even "write" "creatively" a little. Be warned.

Finally, I really am making sweet love to Chapter 5 so you won't see me write the word "blog" or any of its stupid derivations (like the really despisable "blogosphere") too often. I especially hate saying blog out loud, it sounds too much like a combination of the word "blah" and a barfing noise. So y'all feel free to take bets on how long I will be able to give a shit about blogging. And put me down for three weeks.

0 comments: